www.nationstates.net

20 July 2005

Arr, Jim Lad

Recently I've been sniffing around eBay, Amazon, video retailer sites, EVERYWHERE, looking for VHS tapes of an old cartoon series called "The Legends of Treasure Island" which was first broadcast in 1993. All the characters were animals, but by God the plots were brilliant, and the atmosphere was tense in the action-oriented bits, and Long John Silver (voiced by Richard E. Grant) was a surprisingly cunning and evil villian. In most children's cartoons, the villian is bumblingly inept, but the character here really does pull out all the stops, thinking and acting intelligently. It's great.

But to my utter incredulity, the series seems to have just vanished into non-existence. I can't find any videos, DVDs or anything. I can't even find anymore than a couple of screenshots and an episode list! Gawd, not even Jim Hawkins could have had as much trouble trying to find Flint's treasure as I am having finding this series! I did purchase a DVD called "Treasure Island", but it was just a merging of some of the episodes to create a movie-type thing. It's great seeing some of the stuff I missed, but it's also extremely irritating that I can't see the whole thing. My guess is that the movie only encapsulated the first season, because you never see them actually find the treasure... although there is some good news, as I recently managed to find a video with the first three episodes for sale on eBay. Whether the whole series was turned into videos I don't know. I hope so. Then it's just a matter of waiting.

So what's this got to do with NationStates? Absolutely nothing. I just need to expound my woes for a bit.

If you look at Reppy's blog, you'll see she's got a new issue underway, and I will have one too, as soon as I can be bothered... right now I feel quite groggy... see you in a bit... arr...

No comments: