www.nationstates.net

13 September 2005

Fresh Blood

I've got some good news for those wanting more issues - I've started teaching Euroslavia, one of our forum mods, the basic methods of editing issues. I don't want to get into the complicated stuff to quickly or his head will implode and I'll have to find someone else to bully and cajole.

The system works like this:

1. Give the mod a choice of three issues to edit, each sealed in a golden envelope. Once the mod chooses one, I strap him into a chair and the torture begins.

2. I give the mod some basic directions on how to edit (this took me the best part of two hours with Euro, but there's a lot you need to know!) and telegrammed him a copy of the issue (with a few preliminary edits by me to prevent code warping the editor screen - sometimes just one misplaced bracket can have bizarre effects like enlarging all the text and turning it orange). He then edits it to the best of his ability and telegrams it back to me.

3. I send the issue back pointing out all the things he did wrong, things he did right, and things he has yet to do. He edits and sends back.

4. I point out some more stuff, make suggestions, give him some casual verbal abuse, and send it back.

5. Wash, rinse and repeat.

6. Finally, when I'm satisfied, I give the whole issue a do-over, show Euro what I did and explain it, and then put the issue in the game. The issue will not acknowledge the mod as the co-editor, but I do record it. I'll mention it in this blog, too.


I won't be able to put any issues into the game just yet of course. Not until the new code's been installed.

I'm vaguely aware that Euroslavia's been looking forward to the whole issue-editing process, so we should be able to expect a lot of output from him, which is fantastic. We'll be over the 200 issues mark in no time!

No comments: