www.nationstates.net

22 April 2005

Introduction To The Blog

Hello, I'm a rather optimistically cynical fellow known only as Sirocco. I'm a moderator of the site www.nationstates.net where you get to create your own nation and care for/abuse the denizens. Or whatever you want. Mostly they get legislated to Hell and back. I expect that anyone who reads this will be familiar with the site anyway so I'll quickly continue.

The aim of this blog is simply to give an account of the trials and tribulations of modship, talk about issues I've written/edited, my region, and anything else that should happen to be interesting enough for me to relate to anyone interested enough to listen.

But today the big news is that I have no new mail! Isn't that fantastic?! www.gmail.google.com certainly thinks so!

My e-mail address is siroccothemod@gmail.com which I mostly have so that anyone wanting help writing an issue can get personal advice from me. On one or two occasions people have actually done this but most of the time what I see when I log in to the account is this chipper little message:

"No new mail! There's always Google News if you're wanting something to read."

Now I don't know why this irritates me, but it does. Why the exclamation mark? Why is it so euphorically delighted that not one person has sent me an e-mail? Does it want me to feel bitter? Perhaps it should read something like this:

"There's no new mail, you poor, lonely bastard. Get up and see your friends. Maybe you'd have more if you didn't sit in front of the computer all day."

No. Maybe not. Too honest. Perhaps something a bit more supportive, to keep my chin up.

"There's no new mail, but never fear! You'll get one someday! Just remember that I'll always be here for you for on that happy day when one comes! I have nothing but the deepest respect for you, you remember that! In fact, if you'll indulge me, I composed a small poem for you, ahem..."

... And so on and so forth. I really think there might be something in this - perhaps I should patent it? Anyway, I'll stop here for now - ciao!

No comments: