www.nationstates.net

19 December 2008

Gadzooks And Forsooth!

I logged on to NationStates today, and had a quick look at the world page to see this:

The world contains 56,973 nations in 8,203 regions.

I've never seen the world population be so low. The last time I looked it was around 70-80,000 nations. What could have happened? Are people finally getting bored of NS after five years? Could be, it's hard to say. NationStates has been fairly static for a while. Perhaps it would benefit from a fresh dynamic?



Google Trends indicates a definite decline.

What do you think would boost NationStates' popularity, gentle readers?

Oh, and Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen speculation that everyone is leaving for NS2. It could be so, but I wonder. I'd be interested to see how the number of the nations in NS1 and NS2 combined is fluctuating.

Myself, I'm not taking NS2 seriously until they fix all the template errors and achieve a certain minimal peformance level.

- nsh -

Count Zero said...

NS1 is dreadfully boring now compared to NS2. At it's current rate of contraction, NS1 will be finished, apart from die-hards, by Easter.

Bugs or no bugs, NS2 is great and has enormous scope for development.

Anonymous said...

I think approving my amazing issues would be a suitable course of action, Sirocco.
___________________________________

But in all honesty, I can't say I've found NS2 more enjoyable then NS1, purely because of the "multi-world" thing, it really takes away the social aspect that made NS1 so great.

I think what were seeing is a trend, nation creation from fresh new members is now being diverted to NS2, as those n00bs just don't know what their missing with NS1!

A thought does come to mind though....Open Source NationStates!?

Seeing as how among our 50,000 players there has to be some talented coders and creative people who have had they're ideas squashed by mods respectively, because "they really just don't have the time". So, why not bring the game to the people?

Anonymous said...

Today (2/17/2009) NS has 49,332 nations. So right now it seems to be fluctuating around 49k.

I note the daily die off includes a chunk of what we call "tissue paper nations" - established and abandoned for single purpose use like raiding or population bombs.

The folks on both NS1 and NS2 tell me that Unibot is right: if you're into NS for the social aspect, NS1 remains the place to be. Not every NS region is shrinking. I think nations are sorting themselves out within NS1 and between 1 & 2 by what kind of company they like to keep. That's not all bad.

Or at least such is my hope.